Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Broken" IMs

Sometime back an IM spoke to me and said that even if you have many IM norms, like he did, you need MCF to submit those norms or you cannot be an IM.

Now this is from the horses mouth but how can we prove this? Ask MCF?

If what he says is true, then the plot thickens. If that is true, you cannot even be an IM unless you kowtow to very small people. And I don't think that is right. It should be about your chess. If you are good then you should play for the Country. That is chess and that is how we will get our own GM.

So if that is true, then the implication is enormous. You don't only need to be an IM but a "broken" IM to play for Malaysia.

But this could only be hearsay. So how can we find out what the truth is? So the only step I can think of is to write to Fide. So I will send this post to Ignatius Leong for his feedback. I want to know if you can become an IM or a GM if you do not kowtow to small people in MCF.

Why? I didn't bring my son into chess so that he can be broken. I brought him into chess because I want him to learn that he can be the best he can be by improving his chess. And then I want him to apply those lessons to business. I did not bring my son into chess to be stopped by a glass ceiling.

I want him to be a global Malaysian. Is that also why you have brought your child into chess? I will post Ignatius's reply if any on this blog. Actually silence is also an answer.

All my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment