Monday, October 11, 2010

UTP- no arranged draws

UTP was a good tournament. Got to see many old friends and made new ones. Also met Greg and had a short chat with him. He seems fully charged and ready to lead change for Malaysian chess. I wish him every success in this endeavour.

I noted one very good change so far. There was not even one arranged draw that I know of. This is a welcome change of culture. Arranged draws for prize money is not a good thing if you are still looking to improve. Apart from skewing the results it stops your development.

Let me explain why. The biggest component in chess development is knowing yourself. And to do that you have to give your best in every battle. This is because you can start to see your true strength and begin the measurement of your weaknesses when you have done your best. Dont look at every tournament as a must win. Look at many tournaments as a must learn. Find out where you went wrong despite giving your best. Measure it. Measure the gap between you and your opponent. Then figure out how to close that gap. If you have not done your best you cannot do that.

Do your best and then you will begin to learn about yourself. Who you really are. There are no short cuts if you are out to be the best that you can be.

6 comments:

  1. R,
    In a local tournament a few years ago, I was paired against a teenager. He did not have good reply to my Keres sicilian attack (white) - he was groaning and shaking so much. It was Final round and even if I won, I won't win any prize. when I would win his Queen, I offered him DRAW! He was so relieved and accepted it immediately.
    What do you think of this draw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you may have deprived him of a lesson and someone else a deserved win. But please dont look at this as a critism. I didnt know this myself until sometime back. The important thing is to learn and keep improving yourself. And now that you do know the consequence of your action I hope you can change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To add to that, the last round is sometimes where the champions are made. The pressure really mounts there. So a good last round fight is important for the champion to be. The champion in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. R,
    Thanks for your views.
    May be I am not a champion. For me, chess is for recreation, to relieve me from life's stress. I don't smoke, drink alcohol nor take drugs. I refrain from nite clubs / speed racing on public roads. My high is to play a good game. Not to crush other people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is OK. Chess is also a great recreational sport. Also you can learn much about life from the lessons whatever level you are. Just from competing hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No arranged draw becoz the players dun relly know each other , tats why dun dare offer =))

    ReplyDelete