Sunday, October 17, 2010

Force field analysis

As in anything in life we can only find solutions to a problem when we understand its true nature. There is a concept used in consultancy called the force field analysis that I will attempt to employ here; where the forces are analysed. The forces or potential forces for change and the forces against. I have found this a useful tool for myself before I make any decisions as to where I am to place my efforts, if at all.

My conscious attempts at this analysis began from the time I joined PICA. Prior to that I played the role as an observer from the outside and I saw much was wrong. If I had not engaged PICA or MCF, I would not feel justified to bring this analysis to you and you can also justifiably ask me what had I done to change things. I believe my attempts are now on public record for those that want to see them.

The forces in our chess community are:

1. The community itself ie the players and parents

2. The Associations

3. The sponsors

These are outwardly the stakeholders.

A significant force that act within the community are a few but very vocal minority that exert pressure against change. This force employs the denial of evidence, distortions and lies to subvert. Another force lies in the technical which refuses to see that the way forward is to employ the other 3 components of chess. To balance that we have the forces that want change, the players that want to excel, the parents that want the best for their children.

Within the Associations we have MCF and organisations like PICA. I differentiate the 2 because their nature may be different. Anyway I will tell you what I see and you can decide for yourself.

As for the sponsors, currently we have the ones that are based on patronage. There is yet a proper sponsorship system where all parties receive benefit. This is a powerful force but have yet to really come into play.

Over the next few days I will role out my analysis and in the end I will present a strategy for change. At this point I would like to remind you that we are a community and sink or swim we are in this together.

ps: I wont role out the analysis too quickly so you have time to go backwards on this blog to refresh your memory of what I have said previously and to examine the evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment