Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A national tragedy

I have an inkling of what it takes to nurture a chess Champion from the struggle of the last 6 years of trying to get Mark to the National level. The hours upon hours that we spent discussing from our own limited knowledge. Trying to get clear information and working things out step by step through so many false starts. So many dead ends and false trails.

(And this is not even considering the financial costs of the journey.)

That he even managed to get top 4 at NAG was quite a feat to me considering I have very little chess background.

So I can only imagine what a loss it must be to the Country when even one strong player drops out for no good reason. When some of our own IM's have decided to withold the very information that we need to move ahead. At least that is my perception.

I hear so many horror stories, witnessed even a strong National player that have brought glory to the Country and his name is deleted from our history. (Deon Moh from Perak) Accomplishments not acknowledged. This happens so often that we are sometimes too numb to care anymore. Normal what.

But with every loss, we go further back. Every loss is a National tragedy. Should we not care more? Is it in our interest to care about what is happening? How did it get this way? I have a "theory". I hope you'll listen. I'll share it in my next postings.

4 comments:

  1. "I hear so many horror stories, witnessed even a strong National player that have brought glory to the Country and his name is deleted from our history. (Deon Moh from Perak) Accomplishments not acknowledged. "

    I was surprised by ur statement. Is there any prove that Deon name was deleted from history? He'll be remembered as a national junior though not the best among his group of peers.

    His name will always remain in Msian history just like one of 100-plus names that have represented the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the clarification on the National level. I should have been more specific. Actually I wrote about Deon on this blog after meeting his father. His name has been wiped out from Perak history. Here we have been told that the strongest Perak player is Aaron Yee. And I found out only this year that Aaron never really did well. Deon's name has never been mentioned in the 6 years I have been involved in Perak chess. I tried to correct it in my postings here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When some of our own IM's have decided to withold the very information that we need to move ahead.". Since there are only five IMs ( one is not even in Malaysia right now) and the fact that I am one of them, could you clarify this statement further?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I said, that is my perception. I will be covering more on this topic. Please feel free to correct when appropriate.

    ReplyDelete