Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Jimmy Liew pulls out of Penang Open.

Ref: Here.

This is a sad day for Malaysian chess but I hope we can learn from this. We cannot bring up strong players by match fixing and facilitating for the back doors. I was wondering how Jimmy would fare in Penang Open after such a long time away from tough competition. But I was hoping that he can pull a rabbit out of the hat and prove me wrong. I get no pleasure from this.

As I have said many times, I have no personal ill feelings against Jimmy. I am just against match fixing, back doors, PR campaigns in lieu of selection, banning without grounds and free holidays with no contribution. I am also against putting down and attacking our juniors.

Jimmy is merely another casualty of the very bad policies of MCF. The players will play if the system is one that forces them to play their best chess in tough competition/selection. And they will also take the short cuts when offered to them. And then this happens eventually. So we must change our bad culture to progress.

Do that and we will grow strong players again.

All my very best to all of our fighting Malaysian players at the Penang Open. If you fight, win or lose, we will be proud of you. You can only grow stronger from the experience if you learn from it. We'll get them the next time if we don't succeed today.

MCF, bring back tough selection and stop bannings without grounds to protect our national assets. You should respond to this instead of nonsensical letters from Jimmy and Peter, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment