Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Answering tough questions makes smart chess players.


I was just following the postings of a Malaysian friend of mine in the UK. And when he says something his friends on FB will ask him to quote the source. Then they will investigate and then decide if they agree or not. And they can ask awkward questions.

That is one of the reasons why I like to work with our top chess kids. They ask insightful questions. They want me to prove the veracity of my thinking. And as a result I too grew.

So that is the way chess makes us smart. Chess openings are also statements. "This is my analysis. Prove me wrong. And if I am wrong then I lose". As simple as that.

But have you found that they do not like you to ask questions in Malaysian chess? They do not like to be challenged on the table to prove their thinking.

Instead they have all these ways to shut you up instead of looking at whether their thinking is correct or not.

Then they want to go out there and challenge people who are not afraid of tough questions; who are able to defend their reasoning on the table.

Do you think that may be a possible reason why we produce kangkung players? Just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment