Thursday, March 29, 2012

The training of a National Junior- Cont.

Ref: Here.

My starting paradigm is that while technical is an essential component, it is not the most important facet in the building of a Champion. I believe that the mind set takes precedence, together with the correct training. And I believe that competitor analysis is an important cornerstone. And from the 2 elements of competitor analysis of knowing your opponent and knowing yourself, the much much harder part is in knowing yourself.

My views were in part formed after our exposure to GM Ziaur for those few days of training prior to Asean 2010. It was very instructive from the view point on how to train but we found that the openings he recommended to us were not the right ones for Mark. Why is that? My conclusion is that Ziaur is not Mark. Each have different giftings and different styles. So even a GM will not be able to help with openings unless he has a very deep understanding of his student. And that takes not only the willingness and ability to understand the student but also the required time to do so.

From this and other observations of technical trainers is that they normally teach the openings and style of play that they are familiar with and not necessarily what the player needs.

My methods.

I engage my players. I question them after every game and every tournament. I question them about the openings/response with each player they have encountered. What the problems were. I then assess if the problem is technical or mental. Whether it's a failure in courage, a lack of discipline or bad judgement in changing pre-agreed game plans.

If it's technical I then refer them to the trainer with the correct skill sets to solve that particular issue.

The most important criteria for me is in helping the players to make good decisions and to know where they should go for the correct solution. And I am very careful about engaging any technical trainer for the greatest danger to the players well being is in engaging a trainer who instead of aiding in technical knowldege instil fear in them instead. For fear causes the players to implode and self sabotage in time. So I only choose trainers that do not put down the players or who shows a lack of emotional restraint.

I have seen many instances of that and I believe that is the major cause of the players failing after U14 when the damage begins to show. That and the use of backdoors. Diamonds are formed under pressure. But the players need to be taught how to do that. How to take pressure and thrive. Not take the short cuts. That never works and we have 30 years of evidence to prove it.

And so in my sessions my players can question anything. I can question their assumptions and reasoning and they can question mine. And so another lesson is also taught. How to question with civility and without rudeness. And with this other disciplne I find that they learn to understand and manage their emotions and make better decisions. And they are also able to transfer this discipline to the other issues and problems in life.

That is the true power of chess and the lessons held within it.
For chess is the exercise of reasoning under pressure.

Read this again. Here.

Next: After the weekend, I will talk about what took place in the SEA games selection training in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment