Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How do we use chess to build?

Ref: Here.

I wrote the article in Feb. 2009. That was after 5 years in chess. During those 5 years I saw very vibrant kids slowly withdrawing into themselves and becoming something very different over time. At that time I wondered why even as I was writing that article although I had my suspicions.

Over the last 2 years I have been in greater contact with the national juniors as well as some seniors. My recent exposure to Jimmy's venom has also taught me a lot.

So let me try to give you what I have discovered. I have always stressed on using chess as a self development tool. That means the struggle is to be the best that you can be. Which means if your problem is discipline then learn discipline. If you have fears then confront your own fears. Be the best player you can be. It's OK to make mistakes, just own up to them; resolve to overcome them and move on.

My reasoning is like this. Not all are meant to be chess champions. And that is OK. You will have gained a lot from chess to accomplish anything else you want in life if you do it this way.

But looking at Jimmy's method, it has shown me that the reverse happens when its about winning at all cost. If you haven't trained, you try to pull down the other. If you are not confident, you sabotage. From that standpoint you deny the truth and you try hide your weakness. You lie, you become afraid and you try to infect others with your fear. A terrible and vicious cycle but futile all the same.

For you cannot hide your weakness in chess. Everytime you play, we will see your thinking. We will see your fears or your courage. It's all on the board.

It doesn't have to be the way it is now. You do not need to tear down. You can use chess to build. Just try to be the best that you can be. And if you have paid the price, you will win eventually. It's a personal choice about who you want to be. It's all about you and not the other. Or any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment