Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dear Man-in-the-dark,

This is in response to a posting on both Gilocatur Fan Club and Malaysian Chess Team. Both are chess groups on facebook. So this is to summarise as well as add a few points to our debate there.

Dear Man-in-the-dark, 
1)To tell you the truth, at first I thought you are a change of fresh air to Msian Chess - a man who can speak his mind AND act too. But when you can't follow-through with your actions, and instead expecting others to act on your behalf, you stopped being our beacon of hope, and turned out to be just another shout in the dark. You are also having a field day criticizing other opposing views, yet cannot stand even a single critique. Man, have you heard of 'those living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'?

My reply: I submit that the fact that I constantly refer to the sites and specific postings that have the opposing "views" says very loudly that I am not averse to criticism. On the converse they selectively cut and paste my postings to distort and manipulate opinions. My point is why allow the trash to be posted on my site when my readers are pointed to the original source to read if they want.


Note: My work speaks for itself. It is patently obvious so you just need to open your eyes. No further explanation should be necessary. You are a chess player. The ability to observe should be part of your skill set.

2)Next you'll say we are no different. Our answer is short and simple ; we are chess players. That is our Locus Standi. 
You also repeatedly (and bitterly) said "..thank you for standing up and telling us who you really are.." we really hope you haven't said that as we don't want to choose sides. But if we have to, we will choose the one with the Lesser Evils.


My reply: I think it is also patently obvious that I represent chess players too. Otherwise I would not have the readership I have, otherwise I would not be kept in the loop of what is happening on the ground, otherwise I would not have people giving me information of what is happening in MCF or done the research on COS for me. So you do represent a side. My side is the one that does not practice discrimination between rich or poor; race, colour, religious or political beliefs; those with or without political power. All we look for is if you can play chess and if you can, and believe that our methods can help you, we try to provide the training as evidenced by all the work FGM has done to date. We do not attack you if you prefer the Jimmy method but we always reserve the right to defend ourselves. If you also look carefully we do not open new doors but we will go down the door you have opened if we so choose. Think on it. So which side are you on?

Ergo we seek an environment free from politics and intimidation and one where all chess players can play chess according to the rules and if you are good then you deserve to represent the Country. So which is the greater evil?


3)You have good ideas, though, such as Competitive Analysis. This is necessary for all our competing players, and I can understand your need to keep it secretive as your own "Industry Secret" and I respect that. Next, you'll say you had shared it during your 'training sessions'. Yes, that's exactly what we meant.

My reply: I think I have shared freely with you in our debate. And I have expanded by explaining further my understanding of competitor analysis. I have given sources to read in the past and I write constantly about it. So where is the secret? I do not keep secrets. My locus standi is that it is about you. You go as far as what you put in.


4)But in all honesty, we have to tell you this, your picking on our longtime patriot is getting on our nerves. He doesn't need our backing up, yet in recognition of his National Services, we really appreciate what the Old Soldier have done, as he has served his time, sacrificed his skills and resources for puny returns for the love of the game. However, as you have been barking up the wrong tree, you have lost many supporters, except those who have a bone to pick with the Central Body.



My reply: I do not dispute his past contributions but that was a long time ago. And there are still doubts as to his claim of being Asia's best. That claim got so convoluted that most have turned off. For me if there is truth then no need to pusing pusing. Actually my feedback is that I have gained many additional supporters. Especially after the selection fiasco. Many more can see now. And I don't rely on secondary feedback from stats and responses. I also go to the ground to check if my assumptions are correct or not. But of course there are still a few detractors who have benefited from the gross injustices. We are counting them now. (Don't take that as a threat. This is election year. Counting is normal for all sides). They can just snatch the place of someone who has won their place in selection and they can get their hands on the money given to MCF by sponsors and Fide. I can understand why they support this system. What is your reason?

5)However, we would also appreciate it if you can give our Olympiad 2012 team a break. They need the time for their preparations and not another unnecessary fight with you. Let's stop undermining their confidence, and if you really need to attack them, do it after their return. (But I failed to see the point). 



My reply: If someone has snatched the food from your baby's mouth, if someone has robbed your house, do you still cheer them on? I do not support this team but as I have said, I also wish them no ill. But they do need to open their eyes to their selfishness and the harm they are causing Malaysian chess. And I also trust my own evaluation and analysis. I don't think this team is strong. People who need the back doors are usually not strong. But by all means cheer this team if you want. Note: Not supporting and wishing them ill are two separate things.

Only time will tell whether you are just another storm in the teacup or a tsunami. My bet is that you are just another disgruntled parent who is frustrated with the System and doesn't want to work with it.



My reply: Agreed. A theory is only of any use if it can predict. Do you have a science base? Do you know how a theory is formed? Briefly it is built from suppositions. And then it is tested by its ability to predict. My interest in this matter is not as a parent. My son did not play at NC2012. My interest in this matter is as the owner of a chess academy that have done training for Malaysia in the past and have seen the victimisation and sabotage that goes on.


Oh, don't bother about me, I'm just another chess player, one who have nothing to lose, yet I hope for the best for Msian Olympiad 2012.


My reply: I wish the best for Malaysian chess and I do believe that one day we too can send a strong team out. But we need to change things here first. 30 plus years of making the same mistake over and over again is not going to cut it. Think about it. I suggest you give some respect to those chess players who are fed up of being hammered when they go out there to play for Malaysia, fed up of their place being taken by weaker players. You can support the Jimmy method if you want. The boundary is crossed if you harass us because we do not believe in his method.

I also submit that your choice of title is a misnomer. I have always written in the open and never behind anonymous blogs or comments. I put my name to everything I say. To me that shows my integrity. And if you go right back to the very beginning of my blog, my stand has always been consistent. I do not keep changing my tune.


Thank you for your time in engaging me on this matter. I did enjoy our debate and you have displayed some ability to discern. But I think you do need to open your eyes wider. Change your perspective. You may be confusing light from dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment