Monday, July 9, 2012

Conspiracy Theory 2

Ref: Here.

Caveat: The only member of the men's Olympiad team that I think is deserving is Yee Weng. So if "MCF" were to exercise the President's choice, that would probably be justifiable.

My reasons are these. Yee Weng fought in the Malaysian Open 2011 in the full glare of the Malaysian public. That took guts. He didn't do that well there but that was to be expected since our IM's are rusty. But he measured himself against the field. That earned my respect. He then went on to SEA games and took down Megeranto. That earned my respect. And then I received feedback that he helped Nabila at SEA games. And that earned my respect.

He performed as a player should. By playing fighting chess. And he proved to be a true team player.


And so we have the other 4. Mok and his student. Jimmy and his. We saw how strong Mok really is at SEA games selection. If he cannot fight in a Malaysian field of much weaker players then I find it hard to see him fighting in the Olympiad. As for Jimmy, he survived the SEA games selection but is showing his true class in recent tournaments this year. I believe it is only a question of a little more time before we have his number. And this is the Malaysian field. Not world class yet. So I don't think he can stand among the fighters of today in the Olympiad.

And so we saw the PR campaigns by Jimmy and his cohorts. Asia's best player 1986. (Although I am still not sure that has been proven). Ratings, notwithstanding that the rating is ancient or gotten from select tournaments. The juniors are all washed out by 15. Don't try to win selection or you will make enemies. Don't become strong or we will ban you. Effective methods to knock out potential competitors in Malaysia no doubt as it has worked for many many years.

The big question now is will it work at the Olympiad. What about the chess?


So I have developed a conspiracy theory. I call it a theory because theories are predictive.

And so if you look back you will see that I have predicted a few events before it happened. I predicted Li Tian's probable performance if a strong field was at NC2012. I showed you Li Tian's performance at NJ2010. I will later try to explain why I think he did not play NJ2011. I predicted that selection will be withdrawn after SEA games.

Note: There may not be such a thing as a selection committee in MCF. I tried to track down the members and I was given the name of a possible member. But that person had no clue when I called. Think. Why not put up the names of such an anchor committee if it exists. What have they got to hide?


Next. Further conspiracy theory 2. The dots I joined.

3 comments:

  1. I just got this email from Yee Weng.


    Firstly, it was Najiha (not Nabila).
    Secondly, I should not be solely credited as it was a team effort. Jimmy rendered substantial assistance to Najiha in her final crucial game that brought us the Bronze medal as her opponent was a d4 player. Despite both your differences, I felt it was important to bring this to your attention and I do hope that the positive aspects should also be taken into account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the clarification Yee Weng. I am trying to get to the bottom of the strange way we do selection. I hope you can see that I have no personal gripe with Jimmy. I have always tried to remain consistent in my stand. Do right and I will post it. Do wrong and I will also do the same. And it doesnt matter from whom. Whether it is from someone that I like or dislike. All my best at the Olympiad. And that goes for the rest of the Malaysian team too. I may disagree with the way selection was done and I may not cheer this team but I still do not wish them ill. But my evaluation will remain the same. I don't think this team will do well. As I will explain further in following posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Notwithstanding Yee Wengs clarification, I think it is important for us to understand that that there are no threats to our IM's from the women's team. Where I think the problem is is for the juniors that can become a threat for the mens senior team. Again as I hope to show in my following posts. I also hope my readers will take note that I am not trying to manipulate perception. I try to show all sides of the divide so you can judge for yourself. And I try to show my reasoning and justification for my conclusions. Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete