Thursday, May 26, 2011

Asean and the next level

What should be the goal we can aim for us to hit the next level? At Asian Youth there were comments that even our current IM's will find it tough in that field. They would be categorised as weak IM's today. I think that sounds like fair evaluation from what I can see.

We know that we can produce strong players till U12. Boys and girls. Now Nabila is going for the U20 in Asean. I have always been a big admirer of Nabila. In her I see a strong fighting spirit. And the fire rages strong in her. What I am concerned with is if she has the technical support to bridge that level. You will need both to succeed there I feel.

Nevertheless I wish her well and every success.

And what about the boys? What happens to them after U12? Where is Nabil and Syakir? I dont see their names on the Asean list. Are we content to just have them do well till they reach U12? Are there any plans to see to their development in U14, U16, U18 and U20. The Juniors. Because if we cannot bridge this level, there will be no future Champions. No future FM's, IM's and defintely no GM's. We would have lost the chance.

Dont compare them to the IM's of the past. They are only playing today to protect their old ratings. I really dont think our current IM's can make it out there anymore. It's a different world today.

I dont think we can afford to be complacent. We really need to set that goal. Not only till U12 but beyond. And set in todays world level. Not the one in the past. We had better start to think about this and start planning for it or we will not break out of this trap we are in.

And to be fair, this is not something we can dump on MCF. They are meant to develop the base. This would rightly be the work of the Academies, trainers and coaches. What Peter did for Roshan is a step in the right direction. So dont bark up the wrong tree.

I think if Nabila has the same sort of support it will increase her odds. A suggestion if I may. Can IM Ivan do something like what Peter did for Roshan to help? Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment