Sunday, August 1, 2010

A story of concentration.

The late Mr Arumugam gave me my first big break. I got the contract to renovate his college in Jalan Dang Wangi in the 90's.

We became close friends after that. I remember going with him to negotiate a deal to buy a college. We got to this place in the early morning and were brought to see the college. We had completed our inspection by lunch and so we proceeded to the board room to start negotiations directly after.

We had also requested for a pile of paperwork to authenticate certain matters raised. In this meeting Aru displayed a skill that really impressed me. In the middle of the negotiations he requested for time out to go through the paperwork. So I was left with the task of making small talk while he checked out for over an hour. His concentration was remarkable in the midst of all that was going on.

Later that night, he faxed off a firm offer to purchase the college lock, stock and barrel. All in a day's work.

I dont know many people outside of chess that have that sort of concentration. Do you?

Read this also.

No comments:

Post a Comment