Monday, June 25, 2012

We need a wider perspective.

Ref: Here.

The points raised in that debate on facebook mentioned below was that I bring up non issues and that I make personal attacks. So lets use the first type of debate I mentioned below, the one that tries to see the truth. Now is there a difference with my approach from the one in the link above?

Let me try to argue my case here. I make my arguments using supporting reasons; I give you evidence by showing our results in International arenas and I have even attempted to predict certain outcomes of players based on my evaluation on the type of training they receive.

I then use actual examples from my own experience and try to explain the consequences of those actions if left unchecked. And I take you to the websites of those people who attack me or I will use their own statements to show why those attacks have no merit. As I have said before I do not cut and paste to try and distort perception.

So I hope it is now clearer what the difference is between a personal attack and one that uses examples with names.

In a nutshell, I use their own words and actions to show who they are. I merely act as a mirror. Ergo I do not try to paint a false picture about them.


Compare this with the argument presented above. He uses a dictionary and tries to define a term and then tries to attach the definition to me. On what basis? Which example? Where and what is the link to me? Simply throw names and hope one will stick? Clearer?

Now the other question remains. Why can't some people see the issues? Admittedly a lot of the arguments I have presented originate from the complaints of parents of National Juniors. So maybe that is the where the difference in perspective comes from. When we go outside, we start to compare systems. How are our competitors supported, how do the other Associations perform? What is the difference between their training and ours? Why are we slipping further and further behind?

The term we use for narrow perspectives is jaguh kampung. So I suggest that we take a wider perspective. We are in danger of not seeing the forest for the trees. That is why we need to have competitor analysis. Why we need to benchmark against our competitors. Their training methods versus ours. Their level of support versus ours. Then we can see where we really are.

Can we try that and then sit down and discuss rationally to find a way for us to go forward? Right now all our efforts is in just doing tournaments. Especially International tournaments where certain people make a lot of money. Is that all that we want or need? What about what our players need to succeed? Don't we want to see Malaysian success in the International arena?

The first step is to identify that we have a problem. That is where the wider perspective will help. Then we can debate how this can be solved. A chess analogy is that we must see the whole board. Not just the "attack" on the flank. We need to deeply understand the nature of the position. Are we winning or have we already lost?

No comments:

Post a Comment