Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Question: Who is the stronger badminton player, Lin Dan or Chong Wei?


I see both Peter Long and Eddy Fong keeps bringing up ratings as the basis of measuring playing strength. Maybe they are right and maybe I don't know what I am talking about. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt. Ref: Here and here.

Lin Dan is rated 200 plus and Chong Wei is World number one in terms of rating. In Badminton many think Lin Dan is the stronger.

What about chess? So why don't we do an experiment? For the next National Close, lets have the top 15 from the National Close (Mens) play the top 10 from the Fide active list. And then we chose 8 from the top for the National squad. A clean fight and not the convoluted way we are selecting now.

How about it? And I won't even bring up how our neighbouring Countries select. Surely they cannot object since they are so sure that Fide rating shows playing strength. This will also give them the perfect opportunity to put egg on my face and teach me how to suck sweets. And then this debate will end yes? We will be there and so I will back my opinion by our participation. Agreed guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment